Go to the School's website
Director of the Doctoral School of Social Sciences: prof. Luigi Mittone
Head of the Doctoral Programme in Economics and Management: prof. Luigi Mittone
Deputy Head: prof.ssa Ericka Costa
Head of the Doctoral Programme in Sociology and Social Research: prof. Stefani Scherer
Deputy Head: prof. Domenico Tosini
Head of the Doctoral Programme in Development Economics and Local Systems - DELOS: prof. Luciana Lazzeretti (University of Florence)
Deputy Heads: prof. Gianna Claudia Giannelli (University of Florence) and prof. Gabriella Berloffa (University of Trento)
- Economics and Management
- Sociology and Social Research
- Development Economics and Local Systems - DELOS (in co-operation with the University of Florence)
The Doctoral School focuses on the knowledge in the field of the social sciences by promoting and organizing doctoral programmes.
The main points of the School mission are:
- Offer a broad common methodological training in the economic and social sciences context, promoting the use of new methods of research offering a wide range of applications in Social Sciences.
- Enhance multidisciplinary and frontier approaches with a broader perspective than those strictly disciplinary, when studying employment, development, institutional and organizational design.
- Offer both disciplinary and interdisciplinary Ph.D. Programmes.
- Give students the opportunity to live in a vibrant research environment, interacting with scholars with different perspectives of studying economy and society in a strongly international exchange context.
The main focus areas of the School Programmes are as follows:
- Methodologies supporting an empirical approach to the study of the economic behaviour as well as the use of non-standard approaches based on experimental and computational economics and a behavioural approach to decision and organization sciences.
- International commerce especially focusing on relations between global and local development. As one of the main topics will be considered the economic networks building activity.
- Innovation particularly connected with local development and social innovation.
- The classical themes of contemporary sociology, among them the study of social and demographic change; comparative sociology; welfare and social policies; social inequality studies and stratification research (class, cohort, gender, sociology of education); economic sociology, labour market and organizational studies; migration studies; political sociology (social movements, public opinion); communication and culture.
Official language: English. Only for the Doctoral Programme in Sociology and Social research the official languages are both Italian and English.
- Economics and Management: 3 years
- Development Economics and Local Systems: 3 years
- Sociology and Social research: 4 years (until the a.y. 2016/2017 the duration was 3 years)