The number of scholarships conferred cannot be less than half of the places announced in the call.
Scholarships are awarded after a comparative evaluation and on the basis of the list of applicants given in order of merit; all other conditions being equal, the economic situation of the candidate will be considered in accordance with the Decree of the President of the Italian Republic on 9th April 2001.
The annual Doctoral scholarship cannot amount to less than Euro 10,561.54, inclusive of all eventual social security contributions that have to be paid by Doctoral students as established by the Italian current Law.
Scholarships cannot be combined with other grants, except those awarded by national or foreign scientific institutes for periods spent abroad which are considered useful for the student's research activities.
If a Doctoral student has already been awarded a grant in the past (even for one year only) for a Doctoral course in Italy, he/she cannot receive a Doctoral scholarship again.
Scholarships are normally paid in instalments every two months. The scholarship can be confirmed for the following year if all prerequisites are maintained.
Doctoral students who decide to give up their scholarships have to fill in the specific form to communicate it to the Central Office of Doctoral Studies.
Any period spent abroad for studies and research activities related to the Doctorate gives Doctoral students the right to receive a 50% increase of their scholarship. The Head of the Doctoral School must authorise periods abroad if they are shorter than 6 months; if periods abroad are longer than 6 months, then the Doctoral School Committee must give authorization.
Before leaving, Doctoral students have to send or bring the following documentation to the Central Office of Doctoral Studies:
- the Application form for the 50% scholarship increase;
- the Head of the Doctoral School’s Authorization, if their stay abroad is shorter than 6 months or a copy of the Doctoral School Committee’s authorization, if their stay is longer than 6 months.
At the end of the period abroad, once back to the University of Trento, Doctoral students have to provide the Central Office of Doctoral Studies with a certificate showing their arrival date and their departure date, issued by the foreign Institution, as the scholarship’s increase is daily calculated. Note that the certificate's date must be subsequent to the final date of the period abroad.
Normally the grant’s increase is paid at the end of the period spent abroad.
But, for stays abroad equal or longer than 3 months, the University can pay 60% of the entire increase in advance and the remaining 40% when Doctoral students return.
In this case, the Authorization and the Application for the grant’s increase must be sent or brought to the Central Office of Doctoral Studies at least 2 months before leaving.