COST is an intergovernmental framework for European Cooperation in Science and Technology, allowing the coordination of nationally-funded research on a European level which finances networking programmes among researchers to promote and reinforce the potential of research and innovation at European level.
The networks funded under COST are divided into:
- Cost Actions (networking activities regarding a joint research topic)
- Cost Targeted Networks (networking activities on issues regarding research project management or research policies)
The University of Trento, represented by Vanessa Ravagni (head of the Scientific Research and Technology Transfer Division) participates in the COST targeted network “The voice of research administrators - building a network of administrative excellence (BESTPRAC)".
The consortium includes the representatives of the administrative, financial, legal offices (“Research Administrators”) for the support to the submission and management of European projects, of universities and research institutions from 28 EU countries.
- promotion of networking activities in order to exchange and compare experiences about European research projects financial and legal management;
- promotion and sharing of “best practices” aimed at detecting effective and shared solutions for European research projects management;
- promotion, also at national level (through project partners), of networking activities for administrative, financial and legal services of other universities and research centres;
- promotion of skills development and professional recognition (also through mobility programmes) of research administrators.
BESTPRAC project Working groups (WG):
- WG1 Administration: dealing with issues regarding general project management (e.g. reporting, timesheets, audits management).
Italian representatives: Barbara Chiucconi, University of Macerata (barbara.chiucconi [at] unimc.it); Paola Motetti, University of Bologna (paola.motetti [at] unibo.it)
- WG2 Finance: dealing with issues regarding financial aspects (e.g. accounting, VAT, overhead, audits documentation).
Italian representatives: Vanessa Ravagni, University of Trento (vanessa.ravagni [at] unitn.it); Barbara Rebecchi, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia (barbara.rebecchi [at] unimore.it)
- WG3 Legal: dealing with legal aspects (contracts and consortium agreements, IPR management also of third parties, patents and technology transfer, international legal framework).
Italian representatives: Francesca Tomasi, University of Trento (francesca.tomasi [at] euricse.eu (francesca.tomasi@)vanessa.ravagni [at] unitn.it (unitn.it)); Alessandra Baccigotti, Università di Bologna (alessandra.baccigotti [at] unibo.it )
The project aims at offering an opportunity for debate and dialogue about common issues, not only to project partners representatives, but also to colleagues of other universities/centre at national and European level.
For more information about the project and relevant topics, the state-of-the-art and the resulting documents or to suggest new points of view or questions which may contribute to the activities of the Working groups, the person in charge for the University of Trento is:
- Vanessa Ravagni
Head of the Scientific Research and Technology Transfer Division
vanessa.ravagni [at] unitn.it