Doctorates are the highest qualifications awarded by the Italian university system.
They provide doctoral students with the skills and knowledge they need to conduct high level research in public and private organizations or develop a professional career, while contributing to the creation of the European area of higher education and of the European research area.
Doctoral programmes are open to students with a Master’s degree (in Italian, "laurea magistrale, specialistica o vecchio ordinamento") or an equivalent foreign degree.
Doctoral programmes for a.y. 2023-2024 (cycle 39) at the University of Trento are listed below.
Science and Technology
May 31, 2023
|call open||May 30, 2023|
|Civil, Environmental and Mechanical Engineering||call closed||May 10, 2023|
|Industrial Innovation||to be opened||---|
May 18, 2023
|Materials, Mechatronics and Systems Engineering||to be opened||---|
|Agrifood and Environmental Sciences||to be opened||---|
to be opened
|European Cultures. Environment, Contexts, Histories, Arts, Ideas||call open||June 1, 2023|
|Economics and Finance||call open||June 20, 2023|
June 15, 2023
|Sociology and Social Research||call open||June 20, 2023|
|Comparative and European legal studies||call open||June 13, 2023|
|International studies||call closed||May 9, 2023|
|Sustainability: Economics, Environment, Management and Society (SUSTEEMS)||call open||June 20, 2023|
|Cognitive and Brain Sciences||call open||May 31, 2023|
|Cognitive Science||call open||July 18, 2023|
Availability within the National Recovery and Resilience Plan (NRRP)
Updates on the page https://www.unitn.it/en/phd-nrrp-calls.
National Doctoral Programmes and Inter-university Doctoral Programmes
|Space Science and Technology - SST||to be opened||---|
Doctoral Programme in Management: activated from academic year 2023-2024 (39th Cycle), in partnership with the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano
The University of Trento participates to the:
- National PhD programme in Sustainable Development and Climate Change, which has its administrative seat at the Istituto Universitario di Studi Superiori di Pavia
- National PhD programme in Artificial Intelligence, Society Area, coordinated by CNR and Università degli Studi di Pisa
- National PhD programme in Learning Sciences and Digital Technologies, with administrative seat at the University of Foggia
- National PhD programme in Scientific,Technological and Social Methods Enabling Circular Economy, with administrative seat at the University of Padua
- National PhD programme in Autonomous Systems (Dausy) with administrative seat at the Politecnico di Bari
- National PhD programme in Photovoltaics with administrative seat at the University of Salerno
- National PhD programme in Robotica e macchine intelligenti (DRIM) with administrative seat at the University of Genova
- National PhD programme in Medicina dei Sistemi with administrative seat at the University of Milano
- National PhD programme in Cybersicurezza with administrative seat at the IMT-Lucca.
National operational programme (NOP) on research and innovation 2014-2020
The call is available at https://www.unitn.it/en/nop-call (call closed).
Doctoral Programmes offered jointly with foreign Universities:
PhD programmes will be discontinued (after already enrolled students have graduated):
- Economics and Management - last intake academic year 2022/2023
- International Research Doctoral Course “Forms of cultural exchange” - last intake academic year 2021/2022
- Development Economics and Local Systems - DELoS - last intake academic year 2019/2020