On 7 June 2018 the European Commission published its proposal for Horizon Europe, the next European framework programme for research and innovation (2021-2027), with funding amounting to 100 billion euro.
The new programme will continue to promote scientific excellence in Europe through the European Research Council (ERC) and the Marie Skłodowska-Curie actions with support and technical assistance from the Joint Research Centre (JRC), but will also aim to improve its communication strategies to underline the scientific, economic and social importance of the funded projects.
The European Parliament and the Council of the EU reached in March and April 2019 a provisional agreement on Horizon Europe.The European Parliament endorsed the provisional agreement on 17 April 2019.
Structure and budget
1. More impact
European Innovation Council, a one-stop-shop for:
- helping innovators create markets of the future, leverage private finance, scale up their companies;
- Innovation centric, risk taking & agile, proactive management and follow up.
1.2. A new mission-oriented approach: a mission is a portfolio of actions across disciplines intended to achieve a bold and inspirational and measurable goal within a set timeframe, with impact for society and policy making as well as relevance for a significant part of the European population and wide range of European citizens.
2. More openness
2.1. Maximising the innovation potential across the EU: more funding and support to Member states that have not fully exploited their research and innovation potential. Synergies with structural and cohesion funds will facilitate the coordination and integration of funding, and regions will be more open to innovation.
2.2. Open science: the open science principle will be mainstreamed across the entire programme and will require open access to publications and data. This will make it easier to disseminate results on the market and will strengthen the innovation potential of the results achieved with EU funding.
2.3. A new generation of objective-driven and more ambitious European partnerships in support of agreed EU policy objectives.
3. Simplification: rules, models and funding options will be simplified to make the most of research outputs.
Legal texts, factsheets and video:
- Legal texts and factsheets for Horizon Europe
- 7 June 2018 - adoption of the European Commission’s proposal
- from July 2018 - negotiation of the proposal at the Council and the European Parliament – adoption of the programme
- 30 November 2018 - Council agrees its position on new framework for EU research and innovation into the next decade
- 2019-2020: negotiation
17 April 2019 - European Parliament endorsement of the Preliminary political agreement reached by the European Parliament, Council and Commission
- from March 2020: meetings of the Commission Expert group to act as "shadow" Strategic Configuration of the Horizon Europe Programme Committee
- May/June 2020: New EU budget proposal foresees €94.4 billion for Horizon Europe; Top experts propose potential EU missions for further consultation with Europeans
- July 2020: Leaders agree on slimmed-down €80.9B for Horizon Europe
- 29 September 2020: Council finalises its position on the Horizon Europe package
- October/November 2020 - adoption of the first Work Programmes under Horizon Europe
- 1 January 2021 - launch of the programme
- Consultazione Pubblica sul Programma Nazionale per la Ricerca 2021-2027 (deadline: 11/9/2020)
- Have your say on EU missions (deadline: 14/9/2020)
- Share your views on Horizon Europe’s priorities for the next four years (deadline: 18/9/2020)
Infodays and events:
- 22-24 September 2020 - European Research and Innovation Days (virtual event)
- 16 July 2020, Roma - Verso Horizon Europe. Il valore dell’ERC nel prossimo programma quadro (online, from 11 to 13, Webex platform)
- 4 March 2020, Roma - Verso Horizon Europe. Sei Cluster per le sfide globali e la competitività industriale europea
- 25 March 2019, Padova - Verso Horizon Europe - MSCA (Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions)
- 12 March 2019 - Verso Horizon Europe. Missions - Quali attese
- 30 October 2019, Firenze - Le sinergie tra Horizon Europe e altri programmi europei
Contacts at UniTrento:
- Polo Città: citta.research [at] unitn.it
- Polo Collina: collina.research [at] unitn.it
- Polo Rovereto: rovereto.research [at] unitn.it