Regulation EU 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data (GDPR) entered into force on 25 May 2018 in all Member States of the European Union.
The regulation guarantees everyone the right to the protection of personal data concerning them. Personal data shall be processed lawfully, fairly and transparently, in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the personal data, shall be relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are processed.
The purpose of this page is to provide researchers with the information they need to correctly manage the personal data they collect both directly (e.g. from interviews, questionnaires, etc.) and indirectly (from databases, etc.) during their work.
The main legal provisions in European and Italian law are:
- Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council, of 27 April 2016, on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation);
- Legislative decree no. 196 of 30 June 2003 (Personal Data Protection Code) as modified by legislative decree no. 101 of 10 August 2018;
- Rules of professional conduct on the processing of data for statistical or research purposes published in compliance with article 20(4) of legislative decree no. 101 of 10 August 2018;
- Provisions included in the general authorizations issued by the Italian data protection authority under article 21 of legislative decree no. 101/2018 for the processing of personal data in specific contexts.
In compliance with these provisions, researchers can find the templates listed below, which must be adopted based on the characteristics of the research project (and which can also be adapted and used in other contexts):
- Project's privacy data sheet under article 3 of the Rules of professional conduct on the processing of data for statistical or research purposes;
- Information on the processing of personal data for research purposes (article 13 of regulation EU 2016/679) (DOC eng | 24.9.KB)
- Information on the processing of special categories of personal data for research purposes (article 13 of regulation EU 2016/679) (DOC eng | 31.9. KB)
Information on the processing of special categories of personal data for medical, bio-medical or epidemiological research purposes, and consent of the data subject (article 13 of regulation EU 2016/679);
Information on the processing of judicial data for research purposes.
Contact for any further information:Privacy Group supporto.privacy [at] unitn.it