PhD is the highest academic educational level in Italy.
It provides the necessary skills to perform high-quality research activity both in public and private bodies, so as qualifying skills for professional life: PhD provides also an important contribution to the European Higher Education Area and the European Research Area.
PhD programmes are open, without age or citizenship limits, to all those who already hold a "laurea magistrale" or equivalent academic title awarded abroad.
PhD programmes available at the University of Trento for the academic year 2017/2018 (33rd cycle):
Science & Technology
- Information and Communication Technology
- Civil, Environmental and Mechanical Engineering
- Materials, Mechatronics and Systems Engineering
- Biomolecular Sciences
- Economics and Management (within the framework of the School of Social Sciences)
- European Cultures. Environment, Contexts, Histories, Arts, Ideas
- Forms of text
- Development Economics and Local Systems - DELoS (within the framework of the School of Social Sciences)
- Sociology and Social Research (within the framework of the School of Social Sciences)
- Comparative and European legal studies
- International studies
The following PhD programmes will remain active until students enrolled on the programmes graduate
- Psychological sciences and education - last activated academic year 2016/2017
- Materials science and engineering - last activated academic year 2012-2013
- Environmental engineering - last activated academic year 2012-2013
- Engineering of Civil and Mechanical Structural Systems - last activated academic year 2012-2013
- Literary, linguistic and philological studies - last activated academic year 2010-2011
- Humanities - last activated academic year 2013-2014
Doctoral programmes in cooperation with other Universities