How to start a thesis co-tutelle
PhD students interested in starting a co-tutelle de thèse with one of the Doctoral Schools/Programmes offered by the University of Trento must submit the online application enclosing the following documents:
- copy of the identity card (for European citizens) or passport;
- valid registration certificate issued by the Home University;
- the Home University PhD programme content;
- letter of availability from a professor of the Home University to act as supervisor;
- short research project to be developed within the co-tutelle de thesis programme (project summary);
- curriculum vitae et studiorum;
- time schedule outline;
- any other useful documentation (publications, international linguistic certifications, etc.).
If you do not have a UniTrento account to access the University of Trento web services, you can register at: http://www.unitn.it/account
The application, automatically forwarded to the relevant PhD Office and to the Secretary of the PhD Programme, will be evaluated by the PhD Programme Committee.
Once the Doctoral Board has decided on the activation of the PhD co-tutelle programme, all interested parties will be informed and the General Agreement/Individual Agreement will be signed by the two Universities.
Upon signature of the General/Individual Agreement, the PhD student can enrol at the University of Trento.
Enrolment at the University of Trento
The application for enrolment at the University of Trento must be done using the specific online procedure
To access the online application you can use the same account received for the request of activation of the co-tutelle programme.
After registration, the PhD student can take advantage of some services offered by the University of Trento and by Opera :
- personal UniTrento email box;
- accommodation for the period spent in Trento (at the University Opera in Trento, paying the monthly rates);
- student card (canteen card);
- third party liability insurance and UniTrento accidents;
- access to library services.
The Italian Ministry for University and Research and other institutions have started different actions to support the mobility towards France, Germany and Spain (see “Useful links” box).
Admission to the final examination for the award of the PhD degree
At the end of the co-tutelle programme the application for admission to the final exam must be submitted only via online procedure
The Doctoral programmes of the University of Trento last 3 or 4 years depending on the Programme. After this duration PhD students have 12 months more for getting the degree accordingly to the Individual Agreement and to the Rules of the two partner universities.
The online application must be submitted at the end of the legal duration of the Programme (this means after the 3 or 4 years) and before the beginning of the above-mentioned 12 months.
The application for admission to the final exam is submitted to the Doctoral Board of the PhD Programme of the University of Trento.
In case of acceptance, the final exam will take place in compliance with the provisions of the Individual Agreement.
Withdrawal from the co-tutelle Doctoral Programme
In the case of withdrawal from the co-tutelle doctoral programme, the PhD student must communicate his/her intent by filling the appropriate form (available in the“Download” box), drawn up in legal paper with € 16.00 (stamp duty) and submitting it to the Director of the Doctoral Programme and to the competent PhD Office.